I spent most of the day in my garden. This picture is the fern-leaf peony I wrote about in a previous post, the one I almost put in the compost pile. I've had it for years and this is its first blossom. The whole plant is about a foot high and the flower is maybe five inches across. It's a beautiful deep red. Here is what I did in the garden:
- Trimmed the junipers on the hill in front
- Cleaned the dead stalks out of the coneflower beds
- Pulled about forty miles of artemesia roots out of the back of the garden. This is the plant that my neighbor said was not invasive, but is.
- Pulled out a bunch of false sunflowers
- Transplanted a few things to the hill by the sidewalk where most things won't grow
- Cleaned up the monarda
- Pulled grass out of the daylilies
- Fertilized the new shrubs
- Took out the shrub in front of the house that looked dead and probably was
- Planted all the house plants in pots so they can live outside for the summer
- Took a truck load of plant debris and grass clippings to the compost pile
Regis says the titan arum is blooming!